– Description: find the minimum edge on which you can do a 40″ finger hang to the point of muscle failure using only your own body weight.
– Considerations: adjust the edge to the size indicated in the ‘Depth mm’ text box, which is the size you’ve used the last time you self-tested, or to the size you think is best in accordance to your sensations during the specific warm up, keeping in mind the goal of the test, and tap on play to enter the Timer screen. On the automatic mode (default) a 43″ countdown will start when you hang on the board and stop when you release it. On manual mode, once you tap on play, you’ll have a previous 5″ countdown to prepare yourself, and you’ll have to tap on pause to stop the timer if you reach muscle failure before 43″.
Times between 37″ and 43″ (40″ ± 3″) make a valid test. If you do less than 37″ or more than 43″ you can repeat the test after resting for about 5′-7′ (not advised), or approximate* the size of the edge you think you should have to use to reach muscle failure at second 40. Regardless of which mode you choose, try to follow these indications:
- carefully place the 4 fingers of each hand to make them touch the end of the edge (in automatic mode do not press down, even slightly, to avoid a false start),
- choose the grip position, between an open crimp and a half crimp, you feel the most comfortable with,
- raise both feet at the time you hang on the edge, a good coordination here is important,
- while you hang, always keep still and maintain a good body posture, and hold on until you reach muscle failure,
- try to do the test right on the first go to avoid having to repeat it and accumulating unnecessary fatigue.
Once done, tap on save to export the result and exit the Timer. On the self-test screen tap on checkmark to save it. Alternatively, before saving it, you can modify its value by tapping on its text box to set it manually.
Rest for at least 7′ before proceeding to the next test.
* For this approximation, you can use the following reference: add or subtract 1 mm for every 5″ or 6″ you may have done below or above the 40″ goal.